Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sorry I've been lazy. Here's what I thought of Sunday's films....


FALLING
3/10
Walked out. Didn't care what was happening with a bunch of Austrian women who went to the funeral of their teacher and then proceeded to hang out at a wedding which was held at a carnvial. Or something. This was billed as being like an Austrian Big Chill. I've never seen the Big Chill, but hopefully it was better than this. Maybe it was just the wrong film at the wrong time for me, but couldn't be bothered with it.

HANA
5/10
Samurai film which was stronger on the comedy than it was on the sword-fighting. In fact there was very little of the latter. I started dozing, and this may have reduced my interest in the film (since it's always a lot harder to follow a subtitled film when your eyes are closed). The beginning was good, the ending was good, the middle was extended and without thrills for me. BTW, to the guy at this sold out session who felt his bag deserved a seat more than paying patrons - you are a butt head, and I'm glad the people near you finally forced you to let someone sit in the seat next to you.

BELLA
9/10
Best film of the festival? Could be. This film really did it for me. It's set in New York City and tells about a day when a restaurant hostess and the head chef of the restaurant spend their day together after certain events cause her to lose her job. I don't want to give too much away, but this was a film with spirit, showing a blooming relationship between two people as well as the man's Mexican family and his past. Lovely in every way. If you liked films like 'In America' you'll probably like this. I'll be buying this on DVD when I can.

FAY GRIM
7/10
Sequel to Hal Hartley's 'Henry Fool'. The original was pretty close to unwatchable for me - I like Hal Hartley's stuff usually, but I just couldn't bear to watch HF. Nevertheless, I was going to give him another chance with this film, set 10 years after the first. And, it wasn't that bad - not great, but certainly a lot more to offer than the original. This film centres around Fay Grim's brush with international espionage as various government agencies attempt to get their hands on the handwritten confessions of Fay's husband, Henry, who disappeared years earlier. Parker Posey does a great job in the title role as an almost naive woman in the middle of a whirlwhid of spies double crossing and scheming around her. She picks up her game after not too long and provides some good comic moments. Not bad.

No comments: