Tuesday, July 31, 2007

CHILDREN
3/10
Disclaimer: I fell asleep for a few minutes about 15 minutes into this film. This black and white film from Iceland had a couple of good songs in the soundtrack. I think it was Sigur Ros, but didn't stick around to check the credits. Anyway, it appeared to be about a boy and his (single) mother, his (reformed?) thug father who is trying to re-connect with him, and his friend, an adult with mental issues, who plays the part of a gentle giant of sorts. It was all very confusing, and I found it hard to follow the story - this may have been because of my brief catnap earlier on the film, but ultimately it didn't grab me, and if I wasn't sitting two people away from the aisle seat, I'd have left early. (Tip to readers: get an aisle seat, you never know when you'll want to escape the cinema!). Apparently this is the first of two films - the next called 'Parents'. Unsure if I'll bother with the sequel.

INTERVIEW
7.5/10
I enjoyed this small film well enough - It basically is the story of a political journalist (Steve Buscemi) who has been subjected to interviewing a throwaway b-grade bit of fluff (played by Sienna Miller) who in his opinion is best known for who she sleeps with rather than what she does. He doesn't care for her, doesn't want to be there and it shows in his lack of preparation for the Interview. It's a fairly simple film with only two or three locations, and is entertaining. There's a slight twist towards the end, but it was somewhat predictable, and I found it a bit hard to believe as the evening wears on in the film that they continue to stick around talking to each other when there are points that cause obvious distress to either party. Ultimately, you want them to stay talking to each other and getting through their points, but the likelihood of it happening in real life is somewhat questionable. If you liked 'Tape' by Richard Linklater you'll probably like this too. Worth renting on DVD, but I probably wouldn't pay full price to see it in a cinema.

No comments: